Availability/Rates
  • ramatuelle
Your holiday
 
   

The city of Ramatuelle

medieval village perched on the hill Paillas Ramatuelle overlooking the Bay of Pampelonne, at once coiled spiral on itself and turned to the Mediterranean. In the center of town, the place of Ormeau is lively Provencal markets and cheerful terraces of bars and renowned restaurants. Between porches, vaulted passageways, flowered stairs, squares and cobbled streets, the typical Mediterranean architecture of the village is its charm and authenticity. The church is topped by a pretty bell tower and the facades of the Provençal houses are colorful flowering bougainvillea, jasmine and honeysuckle scented. The rocks were once dug cellars now house craft shops, boutiques and art galleries.

Many historical, cultural and architectural treasures to be discovered in Ramatuelle. A former merchant shop from the 15th century still bears his stone arch and raised threshold. A memorial special services of the Second World War was designed by Gaston Castel and sculpted by Marcel Courbier, friend of Jean Moulin. Place Gabriel Peri, an Eiffel staircase dates from the late 19th century. An old washing is supplied by the source of Font d'Avaou below the village. Other testimonies of the past Ramatuelle include the Saracen door, the old prisons built under Napoleon, the chapel of penitents from the 16th century, or the Church of Our Lady and painted decorations of the 17th century. The village of Ramatuelle is also famous as the tomb of Philip Gerard.

On land, the vineyards occupy 20% of the territory of the commune: planted on 750 hectares, the vine is the backdrop of the medieval village for centuries. Last representative of a group of 5 mills built in the town between the 16th and 19th century, the mill Paillas rears its proud silhouette in this rural landscape: the wooden mechanism, perfectly restored, is in working order.

Sea side, the trendy Pampelonne beach contrast with the charm of the preserved medieval village. About 4.5 km of white sand, is home to 21 institutions including some legendary beach clubs that earned him his fame: Club 55, a former canteen of the team of the film "And God Created Woman" shot in 1955 with Brigitte Bardot, the Tahiti beach created in 1946 from the setting of the movie "Song of the islands" turned 10 years earlier, or the Epi beach which hosted in 1960 many personalities from show business, the arts, fashion and even politics.

The coastline of Ramatuelle conceals beaches and coves less known to the general public but whose charm is unique: the bay of Bonne Terrasse, unsupervised, former stronghold of the fishermen of Ramatuelle; Family Escalet beach, supervised from May to September and ideal for snorkelers; Canadel secret coves and paradisiacal scenery; or the range of the Customs and sublime white sand, on the coastal path.

A walk along the coastal path allows to embrace the treasures of Ramatuelle coast: the customs house built under Napoleon 1st and recently restored; the Camarat lighthouse built between 1829 and 1832 130 meters above the sea; facing him, the rock doors also called "birds island" for its colonies of cormorants; the remains of Napoleonic battery built on the Cap Camarat in the early 19th century; the elegant and prestigious Volterra castle; or sublime Taillat cap, a 40-minute walk from the nice beach Escalet.